Don't see the role you're looking for? Apply here.Boston, MA and San Francisco, CA
Don't see the role you're looking for? We're always looking for talented, creative and passionate people to join our team. If you're interested in opportunities at Gradient, we'd love to hear from you.
If you’re passionate about the work we’re doing, come join us! Our team is varied, accomplished, and humble. We believe in a future of collaborative data that doesn’t sacrifice security or privacy in our information or our devices. We cannot build this alone - we’re looking for fellow problem solvers who are eager to join our mission. Current job postings are available on our jobs webpage, but if you don’t see an exact role, are passionate about our vision, and want to contribute, please apply below.
A Boston-based, venture-backed technology company, Gradient Technologies (www.gradient.tech) verifies the trustworthiness of every connected system to make communications secure and private by design. Gradient provides a unified security paradigm from edge to cloud with the first Trust Fabric for Everything Connected™, with a zero-trust approach that avoids the significant vulnerabilities, system complexities, and perimeter costs inherent to current approaches. Gradient’s Identity and Authentication as a Service (IDaaS) framework ensures that every interaction between devices, software, and users — for servers, containers, VMs, laptops, mobile, infrastructure, and IoT — comes with a cryptographic proof that the connected system is authentic and trustworthy. IDaaS is fully backwards compatible with existing certificate-based security infrastructure.
At Gradient we see a world in which the authenticity and integrity of every electronic device, the software it operates, data it originates, stores, and computes, are provable qualities by construction. Gradient is committed to getting security right, without sacrificing privacy. We have developed a truly full-stack approach to security: from secure software architecture and fault tolerant distributed systems to firmware and OS modules, state-of-the-art anonymous cryptographic signatures -- all the way to state-of-the-art secure enclave processor hardware architecture
Advised by industry leaders from healthcare to finance, our founding team comprises world-leading experts in cryptography and secure hardware. We believe in taking a first principles approach to problem solving — and share a common desire to build impactful technology for the betterment of society. In previous lives, Gradient team members have built human brain-machine interfaces, the Macbook Air, satellite constellations, and mission critical hardware and software. (We’ve also been known to, for example, hack the office espresso machine — sometimes open loop temperature control just don’t cut it.)
We have a lot to build! If you are a talented, productive, and curious engineer excited by a startup environment and comfortable tackling lightly scoped problems with others of your caliber, then at Gradient you will have the opportunity to help build and shape the technologies that bring much-needed reform to the field of secure systems.
A Few Uncorrelated Examples of Specific Experiences We've Recently Found Impressive and Helpful
- Deep experience in systems/network architecture and security, protocol design, API design.
- Porting a kernel onto a fiddly system with limited existing software stack; modifying firmware in interesting ways.
- Experience interacting with a secure element such as a TPM in clever ways.
- Development of device and software security; public key infrastructure; and/or distributed key infrastructure
- Hands-on experience with the design, development, and deployment of enterprise software at scale.
- A deep understanding of consensus, architecture of classic fault-tolerant systems.
- Design with hardware roots of trust, secure boot, secure OS, secure enclaves.
- Strong experience, even teaching, in algorithms, distributed systems, system architecture, or other similar applied, theory-heavy areas.
- Experience with formal methods and machine-checked proof systems. Universal composability is also of some interest.
- Design automation and meta-programming for rapid prototyping of hardware.
- Experience with software performance engineering, especially targeting modern commodity computer systems.
- A deep understanding of group theory, elliptic curve cryptography, standard cryptographic algorithms and zero-knowledge proof systems.
What's your area of expertise? What projects have you built? Which engineering courses have you enjoyed? Reach out to us by applying below.
Gradient is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.