Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)Boston, MA, San Francisco, CA, Open to Remote
About the Position
The Site Reliability Engineer will be responsible for building the cloud and on-premise infrastructure that operates seamlessly with our secure enclave-powered processors. You will work closely with the team to architect and implement a highly-scalable hybrid platform that integrates Intel-based servers and modern cloud technologies with Gradient privacy-preserving processors.
You are a creative and self-driven team player who wants to work passionately on innovative new architectures and drive projects to closure in a fast-paced startup environment focused on delivering enterprise platform solutions. You should have excellent analytical skills and can handle complex, modular cloud-based systems in a collaborative, team-based environment. We care most about your attitude and aptitude than previously used tools and technologies. We strongly prefer teammates who propose their own path forward, require minimal guidance, and take pride in building high-quality, scalable solutions.
You will have experience with DevOps methodologies and will be working with a core engineering team comprising diverse skills and responsibilities to deliver a highly scalable, distributed, low-latency services platform. You will work hands-on with industry leading technologies to collaborate on defining approaches and architectures that integrate well with Gradient’s world-class cryptographic and secure-enclave capabilities.
This is an opportunity to be a key contributor to a world-class, highly scalable, distributed, low-latency platform that delivers best-in-class privacy and security services.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in one of the following: C, C++, Java, Python, Go, Ruby, or shell scripting.
- Experience working with administration (e.g., filesystems, inodes, system calls) and/or networking (e.g., TCP/IP, routing, network topologies and platforms, SDN).
- Strong background building with cloud and container services such as AWS EC2, Kubernetes, Docker, OpenStack, and/or cluster infrastructure
- Strong experience with Linux
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Good written and oral communication skills; fast learner
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or other technical related field.
- Experience with a service provider environment or hyperscale network in network automation or engineering roles
- Experience in designing, building, and debugging distributed systemsExperience developing and automating networking products, technologies, software, and protocols.
- Play a key role in architecting, designing, and developing Gradient infrastructure and services for both cloud and on-premise environments
- Collaborate across teams to build cloud native and hybrid-cloud infrastructure and applications, architected to be tightly integrated with Gradient secure processor infrastructure
- Designing and developing processes, infrastructure, and software to build, configure, maintain, and manage cloud and on-premise infrastructure
- Making the process better by automating what should be automated, and documenting what should be documented
- Contributing systems and operational experience to production and quality assurance engineering teams
Gradient Technologies® is a Boston-based, venture-backed technology company securing the future of every connected device.
Gradient continually verifies the trustworthiness of every connected system -- securing endpoints, IoT, cloud workloads, users, and data -- to protect against today's advanced adversaries and increasingly sophisticated attacks. Gradient is committed to getting security right, without sacrificing privacy. We have developed a truly full-stack approach to security: from secure software architecture and fault tolerant distributed systems to firmware and OS modules, state-of-the-art anonymous cryptographic signatures -- all the way to state of the art secure enclave processor hardware architecture. Our technology stack is the culmination of decades of secure architecture, systems, and cryptography research at MIT, Brown, Berkeley, and elsewhere.
Advised by industry leaders from healthcare to finance, our founding team comprises world-leading experts in cryptography and secure hardware. We believe in taking a first principles approach to problem solving — and share a common desire to build impactful technology for the betterment of society. In previous lives, Gradient team members have built human brain-machine interfaces, the Macbook Air, satellite constellations, and mission critical hardware and software. (We’ve also been known to, for example, hack the office espresso machine — sometimes open loop temperature control just don’t cut it.)
We have a lot to build! If you are a talented, productive, and curious engineer excited by a startup environment and comfortable tackling lightly scoped problems with others of your caliber, then at Gradient you will have the opportunity to help build and shape the technologies that bring much-needed reform to the field of secure systems.
Gradient is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.